Thursday, August 01, 2013

An Afternoon Conversation with Genevieve

This afternoon I was driving Genevieve up to Grandma Karen and Grandpa Tim's after dance class and ended up having an interesting conversation with her along the way.

It all started when Genevieve said:

"Mommy, guess what I'm saving all my money for!"

"Viva, I have NO idea... "

"A dog, mommy!  It will be so amazing."

(This is because I have recently developed an obsession with Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs.  Beautiful, just beautiful.  And I'm not even a dog person.  Yet!)

So.  Then she said:

"Mommy, am I getting an allowance now?"

"Yes, Viva.  Now that you're 6."

"Good!  I also need to save my money because I'm going to buy Jake and marry him."

"Uhmmmm.... okay?"

"First I am going to buy him so he has to do what I say.  Then I am going to make him marry me."

** I thought about explaining to her that we can't buy people, but I was intrigued by her thought processes and wanted to know more. **

"So... how much are you planning to buy him for?"

"$50.  I think he needs that much to buy a Lego set he wants."

"Okay, so are you thinking you will be buying him permanently or is this a short term arrangement?"

"Probably $10 for half a day.  Or maybe a full day, do you think I could get a full day?!  But since marriage is permanent once he has to marry me it's okay if the day is up then."

"Nice!"

Hmmmm.... watch out, Jake!

(And yes, we have told her, on MULTIPLE occasions that she can not marry her twin brother!!)

No comments: