Saturday, August 10, 2013

Karate Time!


Two weeks ago we started karate!  Gymnastics has been fun, but this is the year to try something different with the boys.  The boys went for a trial week, three times, and we decided to sign up for the year at that point.  It just so happened we joined right before their weeklong karate camp - and the boys were very eager to go.

So last week they did karate camp 9:30 to 4:00 every day.  They had a great time!  I've never "sent them away" for that long, and it was strangely quiet and peaceful at home during the day despite the three children still here.  I can, I admit, see the lure of public schooling.

What did they learn?  Among other things they tell me they can count to 10 in Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, French, Norwegian and German.  And they did karate, of course.  :)  On Tuesday Genevieve went with them, but she was a bit of a twerp - distracting her brothers and not *quite* focusing.  Although I'm told her brothers weren't completely faultless.  She's going to head back to karate next week and try the one hour evening classes; we'll see how it goes.  I figure that karate is at least as useful as learning to tap, so if I'm already putting in the car time to get the boys there three times a week it might be worth while to send Viva too.


Jake was a fan with the girls at camp.  Apparently one of them told him he was "the cutest thing I've ever seen", and another told him "your skin is sooo soft, softer than a baby's!".  Nice.

I really like our new karate school.  The school stresses self discipline and control and I'm hoping it will help provide my exuberant youngsters with some self moderation and peace, we shall see!  Three times a week is quite the time investment - I'm busy seeking out some new audio books for car time.

No comments: