Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Evan the Imp



We have mentioned before that Evan loves iPhones and iPads. He snatches iPhones whenever he can, but after a while he loses interest in them because we haven't made them kid friendly. iPads are another matter. If they are kept out of his sight, life is easier for everyone because no matter how much time he gets on an iPad he wants MORE and he gets angry when we take it away. The easiest solution is to never give him one. Unfortunately that's not possible when the older children are doing their schoolwork. They use their iPads for many different subjects. During the school day iPads are littered across the downstairs and Evan sometimes grabs one when it's left unattended. 


I leave my phone upstairs on my nightstand some mornings. Evan occasionally drifts upstairs during the day and when he does he stops in my bedroom and if my iPhone is on the nightstand, he grabs it. He always (so far!) brings it to me. It's locked so he can't get to the main screens and therefore it's not much fun to play with. Unfortunately he can still access the screen that puts the phone into airplane mode. He's done that a few times and it takes me a while to figure it out. Next time the boy hands me my iPhone I need to check immediately to see what he's done.

When your phone is in airplane mode you can't send or receive text. The other day I went to the airport to pick Mark up after his trip to Michigan. I texted him when I got to the cell phone lot and received a message of "text not delivered". I figured this was because Mark had his phone in airplane mode as he was still on the plane. After sitting in the lot for fifteen minutes and not hearing from Mark, I tried to call him and found out that my phone was the one in airplane mode. Mark had been trying to contact me for fifteen minutes. Such is life with a toddler like Evan. 

No comments: