Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Lincoln's Finger Light


It looks like an innocent enough object--a flashlight small enough to fit on your finger. However, let it fall into the possessive hands of a three year old and it can become a nightmare. I mean that literally. Imagine being awaken in the middle of the night by urgent shouts of "Grandma!" "Grandma Julie!" I stumble from my bed and rush to the toddler's bedroom. What is the crisis? The finger light is lost. Again. It's so little it can hide nearly anywhere and if it's the middle of the night and Evan is still asleep (I hope!), you can't turn on the light to do a full search for it.

This happened more than once during the ten days L's parent's were out of town. And it wasn't just lost at night. Oh no, it could be lost during nap time prompting a full search of our king sized bed. I did not find it. Later it showed up a few feet from the bed where it must have been flung when we searched the bed layer by layer for it...twice. 

I tried to reason with L. Would you like a new flashlight? I gave him a larger, blue flashlight. He told me it was too big--it wouldn't fit on his finger and furthermore it wasn't orange. 

Sometimes it isn't L who loses it. E steals it. I'm not convinced E wants a finger light of his own (I gave him B's one night), so much as he enjoys tormenting his older brother.

No comments: