Friday, May 03, 2013

The USS Anchorage Is Here!

This week the USS Anchorage (the 2nd, with the name!) was in Anchorage for its commissioning ceremony.  For two days public tours were on the agenda so the older kids and I headed out to check out the ship.


It's a ship, not a boat, BTW.  To be exact it's an amphibious warship of the defense and and not offensive type!  The lines were long (particularly) for Alaskan children not used to ever standing in lines.  It was a bit chilly too!  All that aside the kids had a great time!

Favorites?  The steep stairs that gave me heart palpitations when they went down them.  And all the marine vehicles to climb in and on top of!  And, of course, the bus.  We don't ride on many buses and Jake found it so exhilarating that he told me "I don't know why anyone would ever want to get OFF!"... okay, kid!

Other take aways?  Jake tells me he's going to join the Navy.  And Viva inquired as to what she'd need to do to become a police offer.  (I guess she found all the police officers at the security points fascinating).  I explained more about how to become police officers, and she said "No, no... how do I get to be the person who is in CHARGE of all the other police offers?".  Aiming high for the office of Police Chief I guess!

A few more random facts about the ship.  I was intrigued as to the dental station aboard.  Apparently healthy teeth are essential in the Navy.  They also had a pretty big (24 bed) intensive care/operating area.  We got to sit in the captain's chair, look through the binoculars "on steroids", check out the control room, and more!

There were SO excited about those lines...
















And while we were gone for 5 hours, what did Lincoln and Evan do?



I know, I know.  Opa's professional grade camera takes pictures a little better than my iPhone... :)

No comments: