Saturday, December 07, 2013

Makit Bakit Christmas Ornaments

I first made these as a newlywed back in the early 80s. Then when Kara was 11 we made a few more. Ten years later I pulled out the supplies and put Kara, Matt, and Mark to producing one or two each. Over the years I've purchased new sets as I have found them. Some years they are everywhere and other years they are hard to find. Fortunately for me I stocked up a few years ago.

I say fortunately because Makit Bakit ornaments are a big hit with Bentley, Jake, and Viva. I didn't think they would be, in fact I was hesitant to bring them out this year because the children are only 6 and 7 and it takes some skill to put the little beads in the small sections of the metal ornament frame. It is not easy to do.

The directions suggest you use a spoon to distribute the beads. No! A spoon is way too large of a tool. I've discovered that cutting a straw on a slanted angle yields the perfect tool for scooping a small amount of crystals and placing them just where you want. Tweezers are also good to have nearby to remove crystals that fall into the wrong section.



We made our first batch of Makit Bakit ornaments a week ago. Bentley made the fireplace, bells, and rocking horse. Jake created the candy cane and the candle. Viva was our mixer. She did the Santa with red in his beard (on purpose) and the peace ornament. 


Last Sunday I asked the children if they wanted to make more and they said they did. Viva continued to mix her beads in the dove and the praying hands. Jake asked for a mix of his own. (Viva made her own mix, of course. I made Jake's.) Jake used his mix in a star and then he also did a church and a red and green ornament. Bentley did the angel, the candle in the candle holder, and the peace ornament. (He told me he wasn't happy with how the peace ornament turned out. I told him he might not like it now, but he probably would later.) We even got great-grandma to join us and make a Madonna with child ornament. I made the other candle ornament later after the kids left for their usual Sunday evening with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Tim.


I thought we would be done with Makit Bakit ornaments. I have other types of ornaments for them to make, so we need to move on. However, Bentley said me that he really wanted to make a couple more. I hauled out the supplies again and left the kids to do it on their own. (I check and add a few beads before baking, if the sections aren't full enough.) Jake did a reindeer, a round blue ornament, and the white dove. Viva made the pink and purple Madonna with baby and the teddy bear. Bentley popped out four new ones: the orange dove, the jack-in-the-box, the gingerbread man, and the wreath.


At last we were done! I put all the supplies away under the house. I was wrong. Again. Bentley insisted (over and over) that he still needed to make a few more. Viva added her pleas. Fine! Make more. So they've made even more. 

No comments: