Monday, October 13, 2008

Can You Believe It?

I received this email today:

Hi Julia,
The book "I Married Adventure" was returned with purple crayon
scribbles on the front cover. We have applied $10.00 in fines for the
damage to the book. If you have questions or concerns, please contact
our overdues clerk, **** *****, at
*****@uaa.alaska.edu
Thank you,
***** *****

Damage? What damage? I should be charging them for the fine artwork that now enhances the cover of said library book. I think Bentley did a great job of adding a little pizzazz to what was a dull, boring ivory cover. (He limited his art work to the cover.) I should have taken a photo so you could judge for yourself.

My spouse says he's shocked that I turned the book in without confessing to the proper authorities that it had sustained damage while under my care. Again, is this really damage? You can be sure they will continue to circulate the book in its new (and improved) condition, so what is the big deal?

Do you think I should protest this fine or just accept that not everyone appreciates toddler artwork?

PS Lest you think I treat this matter too lightly, I want you to know that I have a great respect for books and take very good care of them. I'm one of those nutcases who puts books in a plastic bag before throwing them in a back pack. I really care about their condition. However, I also have a great respect for toddlers and their need for freedom to explore their environment. In my opinion toddler respect trumps book respect. So sue me...or fine me.

No comments: