Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Crazy Reader Dude

Since I last posted about my bookworm, he's been busy.  Bentley has a new favorite series - this week he is finishing book 6 in the Warriors series by Erin Hunter.  These are all ~300 page books, I think they have talking cats in them.  Obviously I am not pre-reading all of my 6 year old's reading materials.  :)  Today he picked up 5 of the books in the next "spin off" series by the same author!

A few weeks ago I worked on putting all of the chapter books Bentley has read into Good Reads for him.  I started keeping track of his book consumption once he started reading bigger chapter books - which was some time in April, I think, with the introduction of the Oliver Moon series of 12 books.

Since then he has read over 9000 pages of books!  Granted, some of these books had a larger font type and some had sketch drawings every few pages.  But the vast majority of them have been "real" books without pictures.  It's amazing how quickly his reading has taken off!


Sometimes we have to *encourage* him to participate in other activities.  Reading is at the top of his to do list, and sometimes that list has no room for anything else because he wants to know what happens next in his book... I can sympathize, being the type of person that also has trouble putting down a book/series until I know how it ends.  But we do try to remind him that his books will be waiting for him even if he does abandon them for an hour or two!

I've always liked the idea of giving my kids a book light, when they're old enough, and letting them read in bed until they fall asleep.  But I haven't introduced the light to Bentley yet - because I'm afraid he'll quit sleeping!  As it is he gets up earlier and earlier every day so he can curl up with his books before the day starts!

It's a good thing libraries exist to help fuel his passion.... :)  Keep it up. little reader!  

A quote I've seen around recently, and 100% agree with:

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."
- Anna Quindlen

No comments: