Saturday, September 08, 2012

Trains

Kara tells me that I have not spent enough time playing with the trains with Lincoln. We bought the train set when Bentley wasn't even a year old. We set it up on our fireplace ledge and he enjoyed playing with it from that time on. Jake and Viva have had less access to it because once we moved in together the train set ended up in a storage ottoman in our bedroom and it only comes out when the children ask to play with it and since it is out of sight, it's usually out of mind.

One evening last week I and Lincoln were home together while the three older children were swimming with opa. I decided to build Lincoln a small oval track. I showed him how the trains traveled the track in the grooves. He put a few trains on the track and then grabbed an engine and used it to pummel the bedroom door. That was the end of our train time.

Later that evening the older boys discovered my simple train layout and expanded it. Bentley did most of the work. I'd like Jake to build some train layouts on his own. He does awesome Lego creations, so I know he could do great train layouts. I'll ask him to build the track next time we set it up for Lincoln. 

We left the track up for three days which means two nights of stumbling over it on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Lincoln played with it one more time, mostly taking out sections of it which annoyed his brothers.


No comments: