Monday, November 19, 2012

Scramble Squares

Two weeks ago when I was reorganizing the craft room, I came across my stash of brain teaser puzzles. In it was a Scramble Squares puzzle. It's deceptively simple with only nine square pieces, but very difficult to complete. Each of the nine squares has half a butterfly on each side. The goal is to line up the squares 3 across and 3 down to form a larger square while correctly matching up the butterfly halves on all sides that touch another puzzle piece.

The problem is that there are four ways to orient each square and nine places to put each square. There are 4^9 ⋅ 9! = 95,126,814,720 ways to place the squares. I was given this puzzle as a gift and I never liked it. Where do you start? How do you keep track of what combinations you've tried? How do you narrow down options? It's a snarly mess.

I've never solved the puzzle. Truth to tell I do not think I ever tried very hard because I knew there were just too many possibilities and it seemed a waste of time, an unlikely win. I don't buy lottery tickets for the same reason.

Anyway, the point is that I found this puzzle stashed away and thought I'd donate it, but then I decided to give it to Bentley to try before I got rid of it. I showed him the puzzle. We worked on it together for ten or fifteen minutes and then I left. Within fifteen minutes he had it solved. Here's my proof:



Quite frankly, I don't know what to think. Beginner's luck? Genius child? Almost a new moon? I really can't explain it.

I read up on Scramble Squares after seeing the company's claim that it's "perhaps the world's most challenging puzzle." The company, b. dazzle,  inc., makes 144 different versions of the puzzle (i.e. different themes, all are nine squares). According to one user solving them is difficult taking anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to never; another user claimed it took them two weeks and the key is the background. The background on our puzzle is solid green, so I'm not sure how that is a key.

Do I buy another Scramble Square and see if B can repeat the feat? Or is it best to retire with a clean 1-0 record?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Im just so glad u posted this! Now I can rest :-) Been trying to solve this thing off and on for a year! THANK YOU Bentley

Kathy said...

Where can I find the answer to STINGRAYS?
It’s driving me crazy. LOL