Monday, March 11, 2013

Lego Fun, Fun, Fun

The past week has seen a renewal of Lego fever in the house. 

It started when Matt arrived back from his trip to DC and he brought the children two tall cups of Legos from the Lego wall. They haven't built with them yet, but I expect interesting structures when they do. He also gave them each a small Lego poly bag which they built in a flash. (For some reason Jake has taken to storing his mini Lego creations on my desk. I have three of them which I am looking at right now.)

Opa purchased two "Life of George" Lego games. It's a Lego building game that uses Legos and the iPad. There are different ways to play--you can play on your own, you can compete against friends, or you can design your own models. In game mode the iPad screen shows a model and you race to build it as fast as you can. When you are finished you take a photo of it and then you are given a score based on your speed and accuracy. Bentley played quite a few hours last week. Jake played some, but not as much.



Jake has been playing with the Death Star since last Sunday. He had asked me for a few weeks prior to that to take it down from the closet shelf where it is stored so that he could play with it, but I was loathe because of Lincoln. Finally I gave in and asked Mark to get it down and put it on the taller kitchen counter. Kara wasn't happy to have it there all week, but Jake and Bentley had a good time playing with it.


On Monday I gave the boys two minifigures each from Lego Minifigures Series 9. Again, it was weeks ago that the boys first saw an ad for the new series and picked out what they wanted. In the past I've been eager to track down the newest series of minifigures, but I've lost interest. There are too many minifigures! The boys, however, have not lost interest so I finally went to the store and sorted through all the bags to get a good selection of minifigures to bring home for them to chose from since I had forgotten what they picked. (Minifigure bags are not labeled with what's in them; you have to use your sense of touch to figure out what's in a bag. Either that or you purchase and open bag after bag after bag until you find the minifigure you want.)

Bentley chose Cyclops and the Alien Avenger. Jake picked the Police Man and the Heroic Knight. Jake's picks made sense to me, but I don't know why B wanted Cyclops. He is ugly and his weapon is a club. The boys wanted more minifigures, so they purchased them with their own money. B chose the Roman Emperor, the Fortune Teller and the Judge (white wig, red robes, gavel) while Jake chose the Battle Mech (he looks like something from Star Wars). Bentley told me that he wanted a Judge to judge fights between the other minifigures. I don't know why he wanted the Fortune Teller. I tried to talk him out of that choice because Viva hasn't picked her two minifigures yet and if she wants a Fortune Teller I'll have to go back to the store and play touch and feel with another twenty or more bags to find one. I don't normally give minifigures to Lincoln, but he grabbed Chicken Guy.




After all those Legos, the boys still didn't have enough Lego fun, so on Thursday opa pulled out two boxes from his stockpile. Bentley built an Atlantis set. Jake built Apple Tree House which is a Creator set. (It’s a house with an apple tree, not a treehouse.)



Building Legos makes the boys want to build more Legos. I'm sure now that Matt is home again, B and J will convince him to spend some time building Legos this week. He's an easy sell.

No comments: