Saturday, March 02, 2013

Physics: Experiment 2

After last week's science experiment success I thought I'd try a second experiment with the trio. This week we attempted experiment two which is about states of equilibrium. I tried reading the literature out loud to the children, but even I was having a hard time understanding the material and I've taken high school and college physics. To make matters more challenging, Lincoln was on the table playing with the physics kit and Evan was crying. Kara was visiting the correspondence school offices. I handed Evan to great-grandma and tried to convince Lincoln to go do puzzles next to them. I confiscated Viva's reading material. I tried once more to explain the concept behind the second experiment to the children. I talked to them about ice skating and keeping your balance. We discussed pushing over tall objects with high centers of gravity. I pulled out the game CooCoo: The Rocking Clown and we played it. It's a game about balancing.


We'll have to give this experiment another go at a quieter time after I've reviewed the literature. The experiment itself--which we never got to--involves finding the center of gravity of an object.

Science is fun. Teaching is fun. Teaching science is fun, fun. I'm going to keep repeating that.

No comments: