Sunday, January 12, 2014

Back to Work We Go




(Lincoln was still in bed or would, of course, be included in my lovely and amazing breakfast shots series here.)

This past week we got *serious* about getting back to school work.  It's nice to be able to set our own schedule since we homeschool.  We took a break for Christmas since Matt had some time off of work, and then we eased back into our schedule when we sent him back to work.  And this week?  We revolutionized it!  It's a New Year which means, of course, that the crazy Mom me thinks we should get working on some New Year's resolutions to do things better/faster/different.... !

We'll see how it all pans out, but week one of project "block schedule" was a success!  I'm trying to implement more of a structured schedule for the kids with slightly less freedom than we've had in the past.  Bentley is a dream student.  Give him a list and a pencil and he'll dutifully do it all and check it off without many prompts or reminders.  Jake and Viva?  Not so much.  I'd like to attribute it to their age but I have a feeling personality is the main cause.  I don't think that in a year and half they will have transformed into Bentleys, but that's ok!  

So we're trying something with a bit more structure, even though I like the idea of letting them do what they want when they want... with the twins I find that just means they procrastinate, waste time, and then find they have no time to do what they want because they took 3 hours to do 1 hour of work!  So I'm going with the philosophy that children crave structure and routine.  :)

No more procrastinating and time wasting!  Wish me luck.

No comments: