Tuesday, August 05, 2014

A Visit to the Toy Store

A local toy store sends $5 gift certificates to children on their birthday. They have one month to use the certificate. The twins' month was up on July 26th (conveniently a Saturday!), so I and Opa took them and Lincoln (who also had a coupon) along with Bentley and Evan to the toy store. 

The older children wandered the toy store on their own while Mark and I kept track of Evan and Lincoln. This might have been Evan's first visit to the toy store. He had fun, but was mostly content to look around or sit on a small chair and play with the cash register (we have that exact model at home).

Here's what our young shoppers eventually chose:

Jake: Two small Playmobil sets. (Jake impressed me because he stayed within his budget. He brought $5 and with his gift certificate he went home with two cents to spare.)

Viva: Glittery body paint markers. (Viva brought $3 and her set was $10, so she had to borrow $2 from me. She hasn't paid me back yet! She's not a detail oriented kid.)

Lincoln: A foam pirate sword (scimitar style). (Plastic scimitars break if used a lot, so we've thrown out a few over the years. This one should last longer as it's made of thick, solid foam. The scimitar was $6 so I contributed a $1 towards L's purchase.)

Bentley: A magic kit (B brought $10 and he had no gift certificate, so he had to borrow $5 from me. He paid me back within a couple of hours with no prompting on my part. He is detail oriented.)

Evan: A foam pirate sword. (I bought him one like L's, but a different color.)


It was a successful trip to the toy store. Everyone found a small treasure to bring home.

No comments: