Saturday, September 20, 2014

Some Swim; Some Run

The other day I scheduled a hair appointment and I forgot that the older children are taking once a week swim lessons with a homeschool group. Once a week doesn't seem like enough frequency, but the trio get to be in the pool for an hour and half sometime during which they have a half hour lesson. Bentley, Jake, and Viva love pool time, so it's a good deal whether or not they learn a lot from the lesson. Of course, we hope they do learn to swim better!

The class meets at East High School. The pool there has a low and a high diving board. Last week both Bentley and Viva went off the high board. Kara tells me that Bentley just walked down the board and jumped. Viva (our usually fearless one) stood at the end of the board and contemplated the foolishness of her decision before finally opting to go through with it. Jake wasn't ready yet for the high board, but he has gone off the lower diving board.

So back to the other day when I double scheduled and didn't have enough time to get home before swim lessons started. I had to meet Kara at East High. We swapped vehicles and she stayed there with the older three while I took the younger two with me. Since we were already on the road, I decided to take Lincoln and Evan over to University Center Mall. When Bentley, Jake, and Viva were younger they loved to go to that mall and run up and down a section of the hall that was at an incline. They would run up and down, up and down, up and down. I always thought it was a little odd how much they liked doing it, but they did, so I thought I'd see what Lincoln and Evan thought about the inclined floor. Sure enough, they were thrilled to run and run and run. Simple pleasures are sometimes the best.

No comments: