Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sticker Project

The other day I was going through our supply of coloring books, activity books, and sticker books. The problem with such books is that after someone has used 20-80% of the pages, no one wants to finish the remaining pages. But since the book still has useable pages, it seems wrong to throw it away. It seems wrong until you run out of shelf space! 

I lugged the rather large stack of sticker, coloring, and activity books downstairs to go through while I watched TV. I sliced the pages out and threw away all the colored on or stickered on pages and made a stack of the unused pages. 

Now I have to find a storage area for a two inch pile of loose coloring pages. The storage spot must be easily accessible so as to encourage its total depletion in a minimum amount of time. Evan colored three of the pages the next morning, but three isn't going to make this pile disappear fast enough

The sticker books were harder to disassemble and sort, but I did it. We now have thirty plus pages of "extra" stickers because hundreds of "extra" stickers come with deluxe sticker activity books. I encouraged the children to use five pages of our stockpile to turn plain newsprint into one-of-a-kind Star Wars gift wrap. 

This project was a big hit with Lincoln and Evan. Viva, too, enjoyed it, but Bentley after asking to join us abandoned the project rather quickly. Evan stayed with it the longest. He only quit because after 20 minutes I was done with unpeeling stickers for him. (He couldn't get them off the sticker sheet, but he was quite good at putting them on the newsprint.)




Kara told me that the stickers will not stay stuck to the newsprint once I started wrapping it around a gift. Do I really care? We can add new stickers--we have twenty-five more pages to squander. 

No comments: