Monday, February 02, 2015

Goodbye Teepee



It can be hard to figure out what to buy the youngest of five, particularly when your children are close in age and mostly of the same gender!  For Evan's birthday this past fall I bought him the most adorable teepee.  I was quite excited about it because I know how kids love tents and forts, and I'm not a fan of how easily the plastic pieces in some of the little tents bend and snap.  It took two tries to get the teepee here as Walmart first sent me a doll cradle instead of a teepee (??!), but it did eventually show up.

And it was lovely.  And had gorgeous sturdy poles.  And was a bright but not obnoxious orange, in a lovely heavy-weight canvas.

But...  It didn't stay open on its own.  It would make a lovely toy for ONE small child, but when two decide to run in/out/under it and try to push each other out?  Well.... the teepee spent more time crashing than standing upright.  And I feared for the safety of my windows.  So I decided that since either the teepee or the children had to go.... I should ditch the teepee.

I sold it for a great price and snuck it out of the house.  I doubt they'll even notice.  And I'm proud of myself for being willing to admit my awesome gift idea wasn't so awesome, and for moving on!  :)

(Great story, right?!  If you read this far the moral is this:  avoid the KidCraft teepee if you have multiple rambunctious children.)

No comments: