Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Grandma the Gamer


Lincoln and Evan have been on a gaming binge this past month. Sometimes they show up in my bedroom before I'm up with a couple of games looking for someone to play with them. Lincoln likes games, but I have to say Evan likes to play games even more.

The game I am most often asked to play with them is Rat-A-Tat-Cat, but Sherlock is also frequently requested. Two weeks ago the top game was memory tiles. We have more than three different sets of memory tiles. After playing vehicle memory, they pull out a second set and sometimes even the third set.

This week I introduced them to Gopher It because I need more variety! Last week I tried Moose in the House, but they didn't understand the many rules to that game. (Honestly, I don't get some of the rules!) Sometimes we play Blink or Junior SET (Evan doesn't like this game).  Occasionally I agree to a game of Sequence for Kids. When I play games with Lincoln and Evan we almost always play two or three or even four different games. They are insatiable when it comes to games. 

I am not the only one who plays games with them, but I am definitely the one who plays the most games with them. Matt is a good sport about playing games with them, but he's not home all day and he travels so he's not home a lot of evenings. Kara only plays under duress--she knows I will play games with the kids, so she doesn't. Opa plays games only if I tell him he has to. Sometimes the older children join in a game, but often they are doing schoolwork so they aren't free to play with us. Once in a great while the children rope Great-grandma into playing a game with them.

Do I love playing memory tiles and Rat-A-Tat-Cat and Sherlock? It doesn't matter if I like those games or not, as a grandma it's not about me. My grandchildren love to play games and I love to indulge them, so I'm a Grandma Gamer.


No comments: