Saturday, May 24, 2008

Farewell to the Burp Clothes

While pregnant with Bentley, (many moons ago!) I picked up a few burp clothes at the store, figuring it was on the list of items new moms are *supposed* to have. I hadn't been around many small babies, and so didn't really know how well acquainted those burp clothes and I would become!

The 3 burp clothes I purchased just weren't enough, so I found another 3 bland and not too exciting burp clothes for the collection. Then I came across some adorable flannet burp clothes, and my dear Mother whipped up a pattern and away we went! If you're going to be spending time cleaning up baby spit up, it might as well be with a baby dinosaur or brightly colored fruit burp cloth - right?

Luckily for us Bentley was quite mild as far as baby burpers go. His cousin Felicity had quite the projectile vomitting skill, but aside from a few freak occurences where our dear child tried to compete with her, we were pretty safe! The burp clothes were retired around the time he turned 4 months old.

Speed forward to the arrival of the twins. After just a few days in the NICU I realized that our supply of about 10 burp clothes just wasn't going to cut it. It took Jackson and Genevieve months (literally) to figure out how to eat without half of the bottle pouring out the side of their mouth. We used burp clothes to soak up the rivers of wasted formula. It took them a few months past that point to quit spitting up after every bottle (or what seemed like every bottle!). Apparently preemies often have more tummy troubles. Until the end of March burp clothes still went every where we did. And, it's only now, at the almost 11 month stage, that we're finally able to say good bye to my laundry time buddies, the faithful burp clothes.

It's been a good run, but I'm not sad to see them go!

And there you have it. Proof that life with 3 small children is having an impact on my sanity - I actually just wrote a whole post about burp clothes.

:-)

No comments: