Friday, May 16, 2008

We Work for Fun

H2 Oasis is an indoor water park in Anchorage. I've never been there. I almost went there twice this week.

Kara and Bentley met some friends there early this month. He hated it. He likes taking baths and he likes our hot tub, so water isn't the problem. Kara said the temperature at H2 Oasis was nice and warm, so that wasn't it either. She decided he must have been in an off mood, so she wanted to go again. The family has plane tickets to join Grandpa Tim and Grandma Karen in Mexico in November at a beautiful resort with dozens of pools and a huge lazy river. Enjoying water time is a must!

So Kara scheduled to go back to H2 Oasis with me on Tuesday. I got up early and exercised and put on my swim suit and drove over to Kara's only to find out that the water park isn't open Tuesday mornings for Toddler Time. It's only open Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. Okay...so I repeated my routine this morning. I got over to Kara's and we got all the little ones ready to go. Work, work, work. Then we were ready to play.

We arrived at the water park at 11:30 and could not find a parking spot. The place was a zoo--filled with hundreds (thousands?!) of screaming grade schoolers. It's the last week of school and they were there on field trips. Wonderful...NOT. We decided that taking three little kids into that mayhem would be a big mistake.

Since we had the little ones dressed in swimsuits and swim diapers, we decided to drive over to my house and use the hot tub. The twins had never been in our hot tub before. Genevieve loved it. She was happy as a duck sitting on the ledge.


Jackson was not happy. He clung to me like a leech and vehemently protested if separated.


Bentley had a great time--he's an experienced hot tubber.


After ten minutes or so Jackson started enjoying himself a little, but he wanted close contact with his support network.


Genevieve played on her own, oblivious to the nearby deeper water.


It was fun sitting in the tub with the babies, but getting them out was a lot of work. There were two adults and three children. I handed Jackson to Kara who was already holding Genevieve while monitoring Bentley.


Two hands, three little children, and a deep tub of water is not a safe situation.

I got out, quickly dried off, and came back for Bentley. I called Mark outside to take a photo of Kara with the twins while I stripped Bentley of his dripping swim diaper. Then I sent Bentley inside with Mark. I took Jackson from Kara and stripped him of his suit and diaper and then faced another dilemma. I couldn't put a baby down in the garage, so I set him inside in the back hallway on the towel (like he was going to stay there for long) and then I raced back for Genevieve. I hurried to get her out of her diaper and suit, all the while praying that Jackson wasn't pulling my food storage off the shelves--or even worse playing in the kitty litter box. I was also a little worried about the fact that he wasn't wearing a diaper.

After I handed Kara a towel for her use, I took Genevieve in and grabbed Jackson off the floor. He hadn't started exploring yet. I was lucky. I'm not sure we'll be taking three kids out to the hot tub again unless we can get them to wear some kind of flotation device. It's incredible how much work is required to have fun.

1 comment:

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

Wow! I'm tired just reading about your experience!

We took the boys to the AK Club pool once and were very lucky that there was a family restroom open. However the changing and drying dilemma was still there. It was before the boys could stand and, of course, we forgot their carseats. So, one of us held both kids while the other got dressed and vice versa.