Saturday, June 06, 2009

Black Bear, Black Bear...

why are you here?!

Today we had our first sighting of an animal that I firmly believe should only be seen up close at the zoo.  I'm okay with moose.  They're Alaskan lawn ornaments and they're normal.  I'm not okay with black bears on our property!  Technically I suppose they don't know (or care?  or acknowledge?) the property belongs to us, but still! Sheesh!

Here is Bentley, riding his bike down the driveway. He's the little speck at the end of that long long driveway. :-)


A couple hours later, here is what Opa encountered on his walk back home.


Another little speck, but not as cuddly as my Bentley!  Right to the left of the bear is the front of our driveway.

Here's the visitor up close in front of the neighbor's.  We asked Opa why he didn't get some better up close pictures and he told us he has a healthy respect for bears and gives them their space.


It's almost funny.  Earlier this evening we took the kids out back for their first excursion into the backyard:


We were out searching for leaves to hammer.  But that's another story.  Anyway - it's a lovely backyard, and we hadn't yet explored it.  So after reading (okay - skimming parts!) Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder just this past week I had a new desire to ensure my children explore and know nature.  I thought... why not start with the backyard?
According to the author of this book, more than 1/2 of American children don't spend ANY time in their backyards. (When they're lucky enough to have a backyard, that is). Children need to see nature in action, and to watch how the seasons change a specific area of nature that they get to know and love. So I was all fired up to get to work learning every inch of our backyard paradise.

The neighbors had assured us bear spottings on our street happen once or twice a year. That sounded okay. To have it happen on the same day we started our trek into the great out doors in our back yard?

Hmmmm...

I'm off for a refresher on "what to do when a black bear spots you". Luckily, black bears are the more friendly of the bear types. Although I hope to not gain first hand experience, if I do have any I hope it's proof of that friendly theory! I guess we'll just practice tromping loudly through the yard, appreciating the company of the neighborhood children (safety in numbers, right?!) and maybe we'll not plant a large number of berry bushes as a "welcome mat".

Nature is beautiful, but it sure isn't completely domesticated.

:-)

No comments: