Monday, May 17, 2010

Some Bears Do

Today I decided it was time to check in with the kids on bear safety - last year a bear or two was spotted on our street, so I figure a little education never hurts.

Bentley was the star performer, when asked what to do if he sees a bear:

"back away slowly and talk quietly"

Right on!

Viva added:

"I want to run up to the bear and ride on its back!"

Uhmm...., no. Try again, Viva?

"I would run really fast into the woods so the bear can't get me!"

Hmmmm.  Lets move on to Jake:

"I would kiss the bear!!"

Grandma points out:

"Jake, real bears eat little kids.  You don't want to kiss the bear."

Jake counters:

"Some bears do, but some bears don't"

Grandma adds another thought, that in addition to backing away slowly a prayer might not be a bad idea.  In fact, it would probably be an awesome idea!

Bentley concluded the learning session with this thought on that:

"Sometimes the prayer might work.  Sometimes it might not".

A skeptic?  A realist?  What is this kid?!

I think we'll have to revisit bear safety again this summer!

No comments: