Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The Ballet: Take Two!


A few weeks ago Jake & I went to the ballet - it was mostly modern ballet, a collaboration of our local dance company with a company from Oregon.  Why did we go, you ask?!

Good question!  Way back when Viva checked out the Nutcracker with Grandma Karen and really enjoyed it.  Thinking my princess might enjoy more ballet, I found her a Native Fairy Tales ballet to go attend in Jan with her father on a date.  Here they are, about to head out the door:


Cute, right?

Jake was a little miffed about this.  He wanted to know why he didn't get to go to the ballet.  I didn't really have a good answer, so I dutifully headed back to the Performing Arts Center web page to find a ballet date for Jake & I.  Pickings were slim, so "Intersections" it was!

Jake was excited.  I talked it up and he talked it up all week before our big date, and I even convinced him to "dress up" (a button up shirt , not just a tshirt - fancy, right?!).  On the way into the theater I reminded him that once the curtain came up we could not talk AT ALL!  He rather indignantly told me "I know that, Mommy"!  I was uncertain how this experience would go, but he was angelic.  Not a single peep out of him, he paid close attention and clapped at all the right times!  

At intermission I asked him if he had seen enough of the dancers or if he wanted to see more.  After first trying to abdicate responsibility for the decision to me ("you decide, Mommy!  I dont' know!"), he then took ownership and told me he wanted to see "more, more more!".

We enjoyed our sparkly orange juice and cookie then headed back for the 2nd half where he was once again very well mannered.

The verdict from Jake?  He told me to find us some ballet to check out.

He did, however, clarify his feelings on ballet while on the phone with Uropa & Uroma: he enjoyed WATCHING the ballet, but he has no intention of DOING ballet.

I am sure his Dad will be relieved to hear it.  He has visions of karate I believe.

:)

No comments: