Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Book Store Adventure

I took the trio to Title Wave Book store Friday afternoon. Bentley was in need of more reading material. It's a used book store, so I always go armed with a bag or two of books I don't want anymore. Today I got $40 in used credit which was good because I spent $44 on books. I like this used book store because they will let you buy books using only credit, you don't have to pay a penny if you have enough credit.

I told the children that they could each pick one book on their own and then I'd help them pick out some books at their reading level for reading time at home. Upon entering the children's section Jake immediately spied a big DK book on Star Wars. He spent some time looking through it and then put it back and moved on to other books.

Viva checked out a number of books before finding a lift-the-flap book similar to one she has at home. She said she just loves the book at home and really, really wanted another one like it. It was $5 used which is a lot for a children's book, but she was adamant and I had told them they could each pick one out by themselves. She carried that book around for the rest of the time we were in the store.

Bentley was all over the children's section. He looked at lots of science books and found books on crocodiles, reptiles, and snakes. He settled on the one about snakes. He told me a similar one in that same series about elephants was too easy (level 3 reader), but he had no problem with a level 3 book about snakes. Whatever. It was his pick.

Jake didn't really settle on any one book. He picked a few and then I steered him towards the best of the bunch, a Berenstain Bears book on the hazards of junk food. He was happy with his choice.

I found three books (two were multiple books in one volume) at the twin's reading level and then I helped Bentley find some new chapter books at his reading level. We found many series of easy chapter books. Bentley brought home 12 books. That seems like a lot, but I'm sure he'll be through them in a week. We will be visiting the library every week this summer.

On the way home Viva informed me that they already own the book Jake picked out. Great! Why didn't she tell me that while we were at the book store before I bought the book?! Unfortunately it gets worse than that. When Bentley was showing off his pile to his parents, he discovered two copies of the same book. We purchased two of the exact same book today. (Chaos! My life is chaos!) I knew we had two copies of the same book, so I put one in the discard pile. I think Bentley must have put it back in the buy pile because he thought I was getting rid of a book he wanted.

So I purchased two different duplicate books. I'll trade them back in at the book store, but I won't get back as much credit as I spent. At least when you check out library books it doesn't matter if you get a book you already own. The library is definitely where I’m going next time! (Not that I'm finished buying books for the children. Some books are worthy of rereading. Those books are good to own and have on hand for a rainy day or a younger sibling.)

No comments: