Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Death Star Completed

The Death Star is completed. It took a while longer than it would have otherwise because I wanted Mark to take a time lapse video of the boys building the Death Star so everyone could see that it was indeed built by the four and six year olds. The problem with filming the boys is the baby. We can't have the camera (iPhone actually) on a tripod when Lincoln is around. He'll pull it down. And Lincoln is usually around. So I only got a few short minutes of Jake building. Then the boys got the flu and didn't do much. Then Mark left town on business. I finally gave up on my video idea and just asked the boys to finish it. So they did.

Jake built a lot of the last two levels. When he gets focused on something he stays focused. He did a lot of it on his own. Once or twice I helped him find the pieces. One afternoon I set aside the needed pieces for him to build with and he told me that I gave him the wrong pieces. Huh? I thought the manual called for white caps. Jake said it was clear caps.

Me: "It's white. Use white."

Jake: "You're wrong. It's clear."

Me: "It’s white. Look at the manual."

Jake: "It's clear."

Me: "White!"

Jake: "Okay, if you want your Death Star done wrong."

Followed by: "Bentley and me have good eyes. That's the wrong piece."

I gave in. He was probably right. He's interpreted a lot more pages in the manual than I have. How does a manual show clear?!

Viva and I worked on the Death Star one afternoon while the boys were at gymnastics. She never worked on it on her own. She said it was too hard. I think it was not pink enough. And it's not. She and I ought to change out a wall of gray bricks for pink bricks. That would make Bentley mad. I think Jake would be okay with the change, but Bentley would not. Then again, Jake can be a real by-the-books guy, too. 

Bentley did the last few pages on Monday afternoon. Jake said it was okay for him to finish it without his help. Now we have to find somewhere to store it. We're not taking it apart until Lincoln and his younger brother are old enough to put it together which would be in five or so years.









No comments: