Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Only in Alaska


I was in the family room a few nights ago when I heard odd noises out the back window... upon investigation I found these visitors!  They camped out in our backyard and have been wandering in the area the past few days.

Even better?  Yesterday the kids were outside (Bentley, Jake, and Lincoln) and they came racing inside to let me know there was a little black bear out front.  We had suspected there might be one in the area due to finding bear scat a day or two ago.  Great!  He must have been sleeping behind our utility box, then he popped up (scared the children) and climbed over the fence.  The boys dropped everything on the driveway and carted Lincoln in.  Good work... although they made a point of letting me know they ran AND shrieked.  Both of which we've discussed are not necessarily good reactions to seeing a bear... :)

I talked to the neighbors, it's a yearling and the neighbor assures me he is skittish and doesn't like people.  Which is supposed to reassure me but strangely enough doesn't.  :)  I am happy that it's a yearling and not a cub with a mama though!

Perhaps the bear is hunting the baby moose?

Only in Alaska!  We have the best lawn ornaments ever, right?  (Slight sarcasm alert.)

No comments: