Thursday, December 18, 2014

Bentley and Chess


Bentley's current passion is chess.  I signed Jake and Bentley up for memberships with chesskid.com, and Bentley has been really into playing lately.  He can always find someone online ready for a game and he's determined to steadily work and then work some more at improving his chess ranking.  He told me he's going to be a grand master within a year.  I told him it's good to have goals.  

He's not really serious about all the strategies and details yet, but he is having fun.  And I'm ready with piles of books and suggestions when he decides he wants them. (I'm having a hard time waiting for him to ask!!!) Right now he's convinced that he's *invented* the 4 move checkmate.  :)

I do, however, have to admit that the child can beat me now.  We played a few weeks ago and I wasn't giving the game my full attention and he quickly trounced me.  So I decided I should try harder - and he beat me again.  It's humbling to have the eight year old able to beat me based on his own merits.  It wasn't that long ago I was working hard to throw the game so he could win - and that can be hard to do with a chess game.... !

I'm off to study his chess books - I think I need to up my game!

No comments: