Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Rocks!

Kara recently did a science unit with the older three on geology. This inspired me to bring out our rock collection. I started it when Kara was young. I purchased a dozen or so polished rocks and over the years, a few more have been added (not many, just a few). Kara was never really interested in the collection, but she kept them in a tin in her bedroom because they were pretty. 

I really like rocks. I have wanted to take the children out rock collecting for the past two summers, but I have not made it enough of a priority that we did it. I have collected a few books on rock hunting over the past five years. When I saw the children were studying geology I was excited to get my books and rock collection out to share with them. 


After showing them the awesome rocks in our collection, I asked the children if they wanted to visit a rock store. Never having been to a rock store, they weren't that enthused about going, but I took them (and Lincoln) nonetheless. 


They loved the rock store. I had a hard time dragging them away. It is unusual for the children to spend their own money. Jake and Bentley occasionally buy Legos, but Viva just saves her money. All three of them purchased items at the rock store. They bought some Christmas gifts and some items for themselves. I had the children pick out three small geodes to crack open at home. It was a very successful field trip! In fact, they asked to go back the following Saturday to purchase more gifts. At the end of that trip, they were already planning their next visit. 


There is another rock store in town and I am planning to take the children there when we can find the time. I stopped in on my own to see if it was worth a visit. At first I was disappointed because they don't have very many carvings made from rocks which is what the children liked best in the other rock store. But as I looked around the second rock store, I fell in love with...the thousands of polished and unpolished rocks on display! They sell many of them by the ounce. I picked out a few to add to our collection. (The three unbagged rocks (copper, jet, and green quartz!) are from the first rock store.)


One thing about rocks is that no two are alike. Each rock has its own shape, feel, and color pattern. Rocks rock! 

No comments: