Saturday, June 21, 2008

Stroller Mania


It started with 1 baby and 1 stroller, a very nice one received as a gift from Grandpa Tim & Grandma Karen. Matt & Bentley logged (and continue to log) many many hours with this stroller. It's nice for walks, but along the way I decided I needed a little light weight fold up umbrella stroller to throw in the vehicle.


2 strollers, 1 baby. Not so bad, right?! Then came the bike trailer/convertable walking stroller. I purchased this towards the end of summer, and then being pregnant with twins wasn't really compatable with biking. I realized I wouldn't get much biking in with 3 small children and only 2 spots in the bike trailer, so I resold it.

Zoom forward to Kara, about 4 months pregnant with twins, contemplating how she will manage to go anywhere, ever, with 3 small children. In order to avoid the stress of the real issue that I'm outnumbered 3 to 1, I focused (and still focus?!) on practical issues, such as transportation.

1st came the triple stroller, a Peg Perego beauty that retails for almost 4 figures new (yes, yikes!). I found it used for much less. At first I envisioned loading this beast into the back of the vehicle and using it everywhere. But, although that's doable, it's really rather large and not that fun to take apart. So on those random occasions when I (or more likely Matt) want to take all 3 kids out for a long neighborhood walk, this is the stroller for the job. Holds up to 45 lbs per seat, has an awesome "bounce" suspension system (seriously, a suspension system in a stroller? it's crazy!), and you can arrange the seats facing forward/backwards/or random combinations of the two. Here's Bentley taking the twins out for a spin to test it out:


Next up? A Graco Duoglider, which you can snap 2 Graco carseats into OR use to push 2 older kids in. 35 lbs and rather bulky, but it's one of the cheaper double strollers out there. It is a tandem, which means the kids sit one in front and one in back.


Now we're at 4 strollers. I found another steal of a deal on Craig's list and decided we NEEDED to have a side by side umbrella stroller. 5 strollers.


I took a break for the rest of the pregnancy. I had to, the garage was running out of room and Matt was noticing the multiplying strollers! Fast forward to the arrivial of the twins. Carrying 2 babies in 2 carseats plus a toddler, I realized that my post C-section body (to be honest - not even my in regular shape body!) wasn't enjoying hefting 35 lbs of duo glider in and out of my SUV. So I succumbed to the Snap-N-Go, which is a light weight frame that you snap the carseats into. It has no use once your kidlets outgrow the carseats, but it was VERY convienent while it lasted. A picture of stroller #6:


#7... the twins started getting too large for their carseats, and my fingers started tapping away online looking at the options. I was not in love with the DuoGlider, I wanted a light weight stroller that is small and easy to use, for use while shopping. The craigs list steal of a deal on a basic double umbrella stroller had already been moved over to the Grandparents house for the occasional walk to the park.

I wanted something with a few more features (reclinable seats, easy to fold, LIGHT!!). I settled on the Peg Perego Aria, and after scouring Craigs list for a couple months gave in and purchased my first full price stroller.


The Aria is the lightest side by side stroller on the market today, weighing in at only 14 lbs. I love it! Bentley isn't so sure (he's not always a stroller fan):


This spring, consumed by a moment (or more than one, to be honest) of stroller envy I finally gave in and purchased BOB - stroller #8.


You can see more about BOB in my post earlier this week. BOB is a jogger and we use him for all the wild outdoor terrain we encounter. He's very easy to push. Emboldened by the prior purchase of 8 strollers I went all out and decided to go for the fancy stroller with all the options I wanted - full sun screen canopies that wrap all the way around (individually for each kid), both fixed and swivel options for the front tire, and an accessory package that includes a very nice weather wrap around shield so we can go walking in the snow and rain and hail (oops - maybe not the last one!). Jackson is not as impressed with BOB as I am:


Should I confess that the total tally would be 9 if counting the bike trailer/jogger stroller that I purchased and then resold without ever using? :-)
So although we've owned 9 strollers, at the moment we only have 5 in the garage. That's less than 2 per child. Quite reasonable!

3 comments:

Amrita said...

Transportation, in my opinion, is the key to sanity. A few hundred dollars here or there is a lot cheaper than a mental break down:) Buy as many strollers as you like! (although our husbands may gang up on us soon if we continue with our BOB infatuation)

shamim hossen said...

Transportation, in my
baby stroller, is the key to sanity. A few hundred dollars here or there is a lot cheaper than a mental break down:) Buy as many strollers as you like! (although our husbands may gang up on us soon if we continue with our BOB infatuation)

DevBatch Inc said...

This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn?t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you?ll definitely discover it.
best baby stroller