Monday, June 02, 2008

Baby sign classes


Photo and cute text courtesy of Amrita! During the month of May the twins and I went to a baby sign language class at our local hospital with Amrita, Patrick, & Cassidy. This past week was our last class, and Jackson and Genevieve received their first graduation certificates:

Yes, I know... a little goofy, but still fun. They didn't have to display any proficiency and yet they still passed (funny - I think that statement could be used to describe how much of our current education system operations)!

Baby signing is quite popular now days, in case you didn't know! Our class used ASL (American Sign Language) as opposed to some of the systems that use made up signs just for "baby signing". In theory this means that what the babies learn will stick with them and be useful in later life. In reality, their mother would have to be dedicated to signing with them consistently for their to be any permanent knowledge gain. I am not quite consistent!

Our take away signs? Stop! No! Wait! Share! Gentle! All done! Please.

Ok, ok. We learned many other signs too (or at least I did - I'm not sure about the twinks). But for some reason those few are at the top of my favorites list...

The class was worth the $$ though, if you're wondering. The kids enjoyed the socialization, and we got out and did something new. Last but not least, I came away with 2 great take aways:

1) Fred Meyers and Safeway will give my children free cookies to eat while I shop. Cool!!
2) Bubbles from the Gymboree store take forever to pop (they can last a few days I hear), so they are very fun for babies to play with.

:-)

No comments: