Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Attack of the Killer Plant

One of my favorite house plants is Phil, my very large philodendron. I nurtured him from a very small plant to a seven foot giant. I love Phil. Kara thinks he's ugly, but she's WRONG.


This morning I was rearranging my living room and I moved Phil to a new location. The trip across the carpet--I pulled him rather than lifting--caused some swaying due to his height. The end result was that his trellis became less stable. I had Mark hold the trellis while I went to hunt down a new support board.

I found one and put it in. I walked away. Phil toppled over completely covering Bentley who was playing with the toy box which was (poor planning on my part!) located right next to Phil.

Boy did Bentley shriek. He did not like being buried by an oversized jungle plant. He was rather traumatized for a while. Luckily, no damage was done because Phil is quite light weight.

That's our adventure this morning!

***** ***** *****


That's a photo of Bentley from last night. He spent the night with us because yesterday evening I entertained the three kidlets on my own at our home and in the chaos of loading them up in the truck to take them home, I forgot to collect his blanket. My error, although in my defense, I think he might have hidden it in the couch cushions to protect it from his siblings. In any case, Mark and I brought Bentley back to our home with us so that he could be reunited with his blanket at bed time. (For a while he wasn't as attached to his blanket, but he's been using it more again.)

We've temporarily down-sized from our king bed to a queen futon, so it's a little bit of a crunch to fit all three of us in the bed. The twins are quite happy (they prefer it) to sleep in the play pen when they overnight, but Bentley expects to sleep in our bed. It's odd how different it is with each child. It's partly birth order, partly personality, and partly being a multiple.

It's easy to sleep with one baby, but two? There would be no peace at all. A lot of people think that twins are more dependent because they have a permanent side kick for the first five or so years of life. I disagree. In many ways they are more independent. They are not spoiled like singletons. They have to learn to pacify themselves much earlier because there is a shortage of adult attention. They have to wait their turn at meal time, at diapering time, at bath time, at any time they need adult help. That's my little twin insight for the day. (I consider myself somewhat of an expert since I am a twin and I've been observing my twin grandchildren for the past year.)

No comments: