Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Poor Mr. Potato Head

Do you remember Mr. Potato Head? Can you believe he's still around? Bentley received one for Christmas. It came with a much larger selection of pieces than the Potato Head of my youth.

Bentley quite likes to play it. Whenever he puts together Mr. Potato Head, I'm stymied for comments to make to him about his creation. What's with the foot on top of the head or out of the ear slot?! That just isn't right, but I know that I shouldn't stifle his creativity, so I don't tell him what I think. I just look at it and cringe...as I scramble for an appropriate comment to make. Something that's honest and complimentary. Like I said, it stymies me.


Do children who are allowed to play with Mr. Potato Head creatively fail kindergarten entrance exams? I've heard that one of the common tests is to give the child a piece of paper and ask them to draw a face. The child is then scored on how many facial features they put on the face. Did they include ears? Did they give the face eyebrows? More features equates to a higher score. What if Bentley decides to draw an arm where there ought to be a nose? Or what if he sticks the ear on the top of the head? Will he end up in pre-kindergarten for a year being taught culturally appropriate drawing?

No comments: