Sunday, February 12, 2012

Visit Florida: Escape the Cold?

I love snow. It's beautiful. It's white. It's sparkly and glittery. It reflects light and makes the night bright. It covers ugly, brown grass. It protects shrubs from moose.

The only draw back? Okay there are two drawbacks. First it makes the roads dangerous and driveways undriveable. I don't like that. Second, it only sticks around when it's cold and it stays cold.

Cold weather is okay. It's much better than hot.You can't escape the heat outside on a hot day. You can escape the cold. You add another layer of clothing.You buy a better coat. You invest in Sorrels. Unfortunately when it's too hot stripping naked won't help. You have to hide out inside with air conditioning. (Even hot weather fans prefer cold to hot!) Think about this: there are no hot weather sports.

However, just because cold weather is better than hot weather that doesn't mean endless cold doesn't get to be too much at times. It's nice to escape to a warm (not hot!) climate. For me Hawaii is perfect, but Mexico and Florida are acceptable, too.

It's very dramatic to get on a plane with three feet of snow on the ground and 12 hours later walk off the plane in a tropical paradise. Modern travel is pretty amazing.

But then, so is good old fashioned weather. Guess what we discovered when we read the weather forecast for Orlando? They have a freeze warning out! Huh? Just two days ago they were predicting 70-80 degree weather through next weekend.

My thoughts on it? It's all to the good. It won't stop us hardy Alaskans and the lines will be shorter at Disney World.

Seriously though, the freeze warning is only for tonight, so it shouldn't be much of a problem for us since the temperatures are supposed to be back to 80 by Tuesday.

Grandma: Do you miss the snow?
J: Yes.
V: I don't like snow.
B: No. Yes. I like making forts. I like throwing snowballs or throwing snow at persons with my shovel.

Grandma: Do you prefer hot weather or cold weather?
J: I like cold weather.
V: I'm not going to tell you. ... I don't like weather.
B: Warm. Not too warm though.

No comments: