Sunday, April 21, 2013

Candy *Science*



Gobstoppers when put in a shallow dish of water will dissolve.  The fun part?  The gorgeous wedges of colors created.  They don't just blend together as the kids predicted they would.  Why not?  Because of all the wax in gobstopper colorants!  Yuck!  The wax is mixed in with the color and because it's not water soluble the colors will bump right up next to each other but then don't blend.  Creating a lovely color wheel!  Next up?  Trying vinegar and different temperatures of water to see if we get the same results.

On a side note, what IS science?  When I saw this experiment online I was intrigued because it looked fun and easy and bound to grab the kids attention.  I wasn't, however, completely certain that the experiment is all that "educational".  But upon further reflection I think that science experiments are ANYTHING that shows us how something works.  Which is a very broad scope of activities indeed!

(On another side note - forget the kids and the pretty bowl of candy - isn't my birthday TABLE beautiful?!? I love it!  :)

No comments: