Friday, May 17, 2013

More Snow! More Mud!


I am so DONE with snow. I want warm weather. I want spring flowers. I want the end of mud on the road. 

The lake in the road that I wrote about last month is all dried out. This is a new problem at a different location on our road. This problem is much worse--a very long (and growing) stretch of deep mud.

The road is such a mess that if you own a vehicle that doesn't have high clearance and 4 wheel drive, you must park it at the start of the street in the church parking lot and hike in. Unbelievable. We are trying to resolve the matter but we have two different home owner associations on our street. The older association would like our neighbors to take the blame for the road problem because they run an assisted living facility out of their home and the handi-capped bus comes down the street a few times a week to pick up and return some of their clients. (I told Kara they were going to point a finger at us next because of all the UPS, FedEx, and USPS delivery vans that come to our house.)

Mark and I are pretty sure that the problem is related to all the digging done last October when the well system that the older association shares sprang a leak and needed repairing. The company fixing the well tore the road up twice and now the soil mix is too high in sand. It doesn't help that spring in Anchorage is two weeks late this year. All-in-all it's a miserable spring on Nickell Circle.

Before this new snowfall all the snow in our yard was gone. (See the photo of Viva below biking earlier this week.) We have grass in our lawn that is starting to turn green. My iris and trollius are putting out new leaves. I and Viva planted sweet peas in pots on Tuesday. GRRRRR!

* * *

Update Saturday morning:


No comments: