Monday, January 12, 2015

Vocab Smarts

The kids are doing a vocabulary/analogy program this fall.  It has been an interesting experience and I think we're learning a lot from it.  Most importantly, it provides me with humor.   The workpages give you sets of three words and you have to decide which two are related and what type of relationship the two words have (antonyms, homophones, etc).  Then the fun part - you have to write a sentence using two of the words.  This is where the humor comes in.  Up until this point I haven't had any "writing" component to our curriculum.  I'm more of the classical mindset which believes that requiring creative writing of children before they have 1) the framework, and 2) the experiences to draw from just isn't all that successful.  When we started our Vocab Smarts program it was a bit stressful for certain kids (i.e. Bentley) - they just weren't sure what to write.  But now they have the hang of it. They amuse me on a regular basis. Here are some of their more humorous sentences:

Bentley:  His face felt like a rock had fallen on it.

Viva: My house was almost destroyed by a wolf but I called animal control.

Jake: I couldn't have disabled the thousands of robots without your help.

Aren't they creative?!

No comments: