Friday, July 26, 2013

Lincoln's Train Obsession

When Lincoln decides he wants something, it's very difficult to distract him. The children's train set has three battery-operated engines. They are fun little toys, but if you don't treat them right you will break them. When Jake and Bentley were Lincoln's age they were only allowed to have the battery operated engines when they were closely supervised because if the engine runs off the track and encounters an obstacle (wall, furniture, whatever) it will spin its wheels until the tread wears off and/or the motor burns out.

Lincoln loves the battery operated engines. He calls them "train track". I can't convince him to drop the word track. I keep the engines up high on a shelf, not with the other train engines. Once he clued in where they were, he started bugging me regularly to give them to him. He doesn't care if the track is set up or not. He just wants to play with engines. At first I was firm. "No, you are too young." He would howl and I would ignore him. Then one day I gave in. (The day he got stung by a yellow jacket.) Needless to say I am getting lots of visits from Lincoln demanding to play with the engines. I don't have the energy to fight with him or to supervise him. The engines are going to have to survive without my oversight.


No comments: