Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Wrap Up


Christmas is always a busy time of year. There's lots of extra activities to squish into a busy schedule. Here's a few activities that the children did during the past month.

In early December our church ward had its Christmas party themed "A Night in Bethlehem". We were encouraged to wear biblical attire. The children and Matt did, but Kara and I did not. There was lots of good food--that our picky trio liked! We were given "money" and we had to barter for food. The kids liked that, although they didn't haggle at all. It was an enjoyable time for all.

Viva went to see Pinkalicious with Grandma Karen in mid-December. She wore a pink dress and had a great time, although she told Grandma Karen that she prefered the movie they watched at home together later that afternoon. She always has a great time with Grandma Karen. I'm a little jealous because I can't always think up fun activities to do with Viva.

The week before Christmas Bentley and Jake had their second overnight with Grandma Karen and Grandpa Tim. They were very excited about it. Uncle Tyler had given them some Star Wars Legos sets and they wanted to go over and play with them. When Kara dropped them off she stopped to talk to Karen for a minute. Bentley came over and said "Mommy you are wasting our time with Grandma Karen--leave."

Later that week Viva had an overnight. I wondered if she was ever going to come home! She didn't go over until evening time on Thursday, but she didn't return until dinner time on Friday. She had a fun time as always. They made brownies and cake. She visited McDonald's. That's all she shared with me.

Bentley and I pieced together a Ravensburger puzzle ball that is meant to be a Christmas ornament, but he won't hang it on the tree. He says he doesn't want it put away with the ornaments, so he refused to put it on the tree. He carries it around the house in its storage box. That's not the vision I had when I purchased it, but for now that's what is.

Jake and I put together my Christmas Lego reindeer, sleigh, and santa set. Bentley did a small Santa. I wanted to find more Lego Christmas sets, but I went looking way too late in the season.

The children have enjoyed playing with the Playmobil nativity. We left it out on their play table. They rearranged it a number of times.

One afternoon I gave the trio sticker nativity sheets and they created their own nativity scenes on construction paper. It was easy to tell which one was Bentley's. He's very organized and everything was lined up nicely and in the places you'd expect. Jake and Viva were a little more free thinking. Viva had a flying camel.

I did not get to make very many ornaments with the children this year. The days flew by too fast and I was sick for some of them. I'm bummed. I had plans to make popsicle stick swords. The Christmas season is not long enough. Next year I'm starting to celebrate in early November, right after Halloween.

No comments: